The Children´s Hospital of the Ulm University Hospital is inviting applications for an excellent, highly motivated PhD student in the field of cancer research/apoptosis.
In a multidisciplinary and international research group (group leader: Prof. Simone Fulda), we are studying apoptosis signaling in cancers to identify key molecules that regulate apoptosis in cancer cells.
We aim at translating our knowledge into the development of new cancer therapeutics and novel prognostic biomarkers with a focus on malignant brain tumors (e.g. see FASEB J, 2009, 23:21-33; Cancer Res, 2008, 68:7956-65; Oncogene, 2008, 27:5169-81; Cancer Res, 2008, 68:6271-80; Nat Med, 2002, 8:808-15). Techniques include retroviral gene transfer, siRNA technology, cell & molecular biology, biochemistry, microscopy, primary tumor samples and mouse tumor models.
* The position will be paid according to established scales for PhD students (TV-L/E13, 50%, i.e. roughly 1000 EUR net salary per month).
* Successful applicants have the opportunity to participate in several (inter)national research networks on apoptosis that are coordinated by the project leader, e.g. an EU-funded Marie Curie Research Training Network, a network funded by the German Federal Ministry for Education and Research, and a clinical research group funded by the German Research Foundation.
* Our PhD program – the International Graduate School in Molecular Medicine Ulm – is funded by the Excellence Initiative of the German federal and state governments. This initiative was established in 2005 to grant competitive awards to the best performing German universities.
* The position can be filled immediately for 3 years with the possibility to extend.
* skills in cell and molecular biology
* very good command of English language
* M.Sc. degree (or equivalent) in a highly relevant field (e.g. molecular biology). Candidates with degrees in biotechnology, human or veterinary medicine, bioinformatics, pharmacy and other distantly related areas are not considered, unless they demonstrate experience in apoptosis research.
* Your highest degree must have an average grade of at least 2.0 (in the German grading system) or an equivalent foreign grade (e.g. UK: 80%; France: 17; Italy: 52; India: 78%).
* Candidates from overseas can only be considered if they are able to attend a job interview in Germany. Unfortunately we cannot offer travel refund.
The University of Ulm aims to increase the number of women among the faculty staff and therefore explicitly encourages the application of female scientists.
* Your application should at least include your CV, the average grade of your highest degree and 2 references (name, e-mail, phone).
* Please send your application until July 31, 2009 to the assistant of Professor Fulda: email@example.com
* Incomplete applications and applicants not fulfilling the requirements can unfortunately not be considered.
* Late applications are possible, since there are additional positions available regularly.
* Receipt of applications will be confirmed on request only.
If you are interested in cancer research and apoptosis and want to benefit from a cutting-edge research project combined with a structured, interdisciplinary and transeuropean training program, that’s your chance!
Ulm University is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals.
Uniklinik für Kinder- und Jugendmedizin